Young professional footballers have very unique financial needs. For many, achieving their dream of being signed brings with it a huge amount of wealth; maybe more than they ever imagined. And with wealth comes a great deal of responsibility for someone who may not yet be out of their teens.
For parents, this is a time of great excitement, but also anxiety. You want to protect your child from making bad financial decisions. But you may not be the right person to make those decisions either. You would be forgiven for being wary of trusting someone else with such large sums of money.
We also understand that the peak earning years for a footballer can be relatively short. Therefore, it’s even more important that your earnings are carefully balanced between living the lifestyle you want to have now, and the one you want to have in future.
We typically start working with footballers from age 18, advising you from your first professional contract to the end of your playing career. We work with footballers all over the UK, assisting in the process of moving clubs to make the transition as easy as possible. We then help you plan for the years beyond.
Working closely with your agent and your parents, we’ll take care of your finances so that you can focus on your career. We will:
- Encourage you to build good financial habits and help you find the right balance between lifestyle financial planning.
- Enable you to confidentially discuss any financial concerns, providing a sounding board for big decisions.
- Help you build a secure financial future, generating the income you need after you finish playing.
- Help to secure your financial future if your career ends unexpectedly due to injury.
- Assist with the financial implications of a transfer.
- Work with your other advisers, including your agent, lawyer and accountant for your long-term financial benefit.
- Help you arrange a mortgage to buy your first home or move somewhere larger.
- Provide expert advice on the Football League pension; including how it works and can be used to your advantage.
- Manage Image Rights Companies to ensure that off-field income is built into your financial plan.
- Avoid poor investment choices which have caused financial hardship and bad publicity for several ex-professional footballers.
- Where appropriate, build and manage property portfolios.
With many of our clients, we’ve become more than just their financial adviser. They turn to us for guidance on lots of different life decisions affecting them and their families. To find out how we can support you, please get in touch.